Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A 2-degree Suggestion to Bless Your Child



Take sticky notes to their school!

It’s hugely important to give our child our Blessing. (Genesis 27:34, Esau cries out after missing his father’s “blessing, “Bless me, even me also, o My father!”).

Here’s a small, 2 Degree suggestion on one way to do just that the next time you go to your child’s “Open House” or end of the year activities at school! When our girls were in grade school (and all the way through high school actually), I always took “sticky notes” with me to their “Parent/Teacher” nights. Ahead of time, I’d write lots of positive statements like, “Praying for you!,” and “You’re an awesome kid!” and “You’re an even neater kid then we prayed for!” and “You are a really good friend to others.”

Then we went from room to room (or stayed in the same room in grade school), I’d open up their desk, take a book, folder or notebook, and slip in a sticky note. One of the five “elements” of the Blessing is “spoken message” and a second is “attaching high value.”

The next day, when your child is at school and opens their notebook or book and finds a note of “blessing” from you – you’re making their day and blessing their heart! (Suggestion from The Dad’s Everything Book for Daughters, John Trent, Ph.D., Zondervan books)

No comments:

Post a Comment