Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cold hands warm hearts in South Dakota


Wow! Two days ago I was home in Scottsdale, mowing our yard and it was only 84 degrees. Last night it was zero here in South Dakota! What a difference a two hour plane flight can make! I spoke a few hours ago at a Priority Associates luncheon in downtown Souix Falls to about 100 business people. My topic. The 2 Degree Difference in their workplaces, homes and heart for God. During my talk, I held up a steering wheel and told a story of my falling asleep at the wheel in New Mexico -- waking up in "big trouble" when my car went across six lanes and started to go off the road -- and my making things worse by trying a "big solution" to my "big problem" by yanking the steering wheel 180 degrees. (Which, if you're a paramedic or police officer you know is how you roll your car over several times). For several of the people I talked to afterwards, that "picture" with the steering wheel was the very thing that had been holding them back in either growing, or coming to Christ -- namely, they were waiting for, or thinking that only a 180 degree change could bring change for them. For one "seeker", he told me "I have so many questions about evolution, I think I've been waiting for all my questions to be answered before I make any kind of decision about Jesus." For another, it was thinking that "there had to be one big thing" he could do to try and win back his wife (instead of making small 2 Degree changes right now). In short, it's so much like us to think that we have to do something "big" when we face a big problem. It's so much like Jesus to remind us to be "faithful in a little" and to have faith the size of a mustard seed. Hope you're doing great, making those 2 Degree changes, and staying warm! Post more later, JT

No comments:

Post a Comment